Monday, October 25, 2010

Sixbeds Hostel, Rome, Italy

All the bits of paper are thank you notes
Really great budget accommodation is hard to find. Generally, you have to give something up. Maybe it's convenience or cleanliness or service, but chances are if you're spending less than 60 euros, you won't have a remarkably pleasant stay.

That's what makes Sixbeds Hostel in Rome an absolute stand-out in budget accommodations. Sixbeds has it all: it's clean and comfortable, it's located close to the train station and directly next to a major subway stop, and it provides important amenities like bed linens, towels, and in-room safes. It also provides the little extras like a book corner where you can pick up a book for the road or leave one you're finished with.

Most importantly, Sixbeds provides the big extra, which is fantastic service. Recognized by Hostel Bookers for the excellence of its service, Sixbeds goes out of its way to help you make the most of your time in Rome. When I arrived, even though I was only in town for one night, Max - Sixbeds' gregarious owner - sat me down with a complimentary map of the city and showed me how to get to all of Rome's famous monuments. He asked me what I had seen before and told me about new places I'd never been. Then he provided me with the train schedule for the following morning so I would be sure to get to the airport on time. I couldn't believe how helpful and welcoming Max was.

The book nook at Sixbeds
When I left Sixbeds, I left Max a thank you note. His walls are already full of them, but I hope mine is now up there, too. Being welcomed in a foreign city makes all the difference in the world to a tired traveler. I speak Italian and have spent over a year living in Italy, and I was still grateful for Max's help. If you're heading to Rome for the first time, I can't emphasize enough that you should stay at Sixbeds.

Size: Small (one single, one double, one triple)
Rates: Budget (a single room cost 40 euros a night)
Bathroom: Shared
Breakfast: Included
Cleanliness: High
Convenience: High
Languages spoken: English, Italian
Service: Outstanding!!!!
Overall rating: 10

Copyright 2010 Sara Harding

No comments:

Post a Comment