Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Best of the Bazaar: Carthusia Perfumes

Traveling overseas has enriched my life in a lot of ways. It got me to finally learn a second language, taught me that I really do like seafood if it was pulled from the Mediterranean the same day I eat it, and gave me a sense of capability and independence that comes to my rescue on a daily basis. Shallow though it may be, however, one of my favorite benefits of traveling is what it's done for my style.

I grew up in a small town in the Midwest, which means for the first eighteen years of my life I was unaware of anything more fashionable than a GAP sweater. My first trip to Europe was like walking into a fine arts museum for the first time. All at once I realized that the world contained more kinds of beauty than I had ever imagined, and just as immediately, I wanted to be a part of it.

Fortunately for me, the vastness of the global bazaar means that even a penniless writer can find great style on a modest budget. And to bring these great finds to light, I'm starting a new series of blog posts: "The Best of the Bazaar."

My first great find for The Best of the Bazaar is Carthusia perfumes. Carthusia is a tiny company that makes exquisite perfumes using flowers and herbs indigenous to the island of Capri. The medieval formulas for these perfumes were discovered in a Carthusian monastery in 1948, and the perfumes are still being made in limited batches that allow the preservation of the ancient production techniques. Women's perfumes contain essence of Capri wild carnation, while men's fragrances contain essence of rosemary from Monte Solarno.

In addition to being a unique expression of Capri's terroir, Carthusia perfumes are intoxicating. My favorite is Ligea La Sirena, a sensual, sweet, musky fragrance based around scents of mandarin and wild white rose. The fragrance wears beautifully and is long-lasting, so an application in the morning will keep you smelling lovely until the end of the work day. I wore my Ligea constantly while traveling - perhaps you can tell by the fact that I left a sweaty finger print on my bottle's label.

Carthusia perfumes are affordable as well as elegant. A 0.85 ounce bottle - which will last for ages due to the perfume's potency - is only 13 euros if you opt for the version without the built-in atomizer. Carthusia can be purchased online, but is more fun purchased while wandering down the sun-drenched streets of Capri (Via Federico Serena and Via Caremelle), Sorrento (Corso Italia), or Positano (Via della Tartana).

Copyright 2010 Sara Harding

No comments:

Post a Comment