Monday, October 11, 2010

Back On The Wagon

Detail of a work of art in Square Roland Dorgeles, Paris

Good grief! (And thanks, Mr. Brown, for the use of your catchphrase.) I confess I was better at this blogging thing back when I received a per-post wage. Clearly I am not ready to quit my day job and become a full-time writer. I had a decent excuse for not posting up until September 17, when AT&T finally got around to connecting my internet (over a week later than they promised), but beginning September 18 the fault became totally my own.

But enough with the self-flagellation and on with the show!

I want to pick back up by suggesting that everyone read Robert Pippin's excellent post in yesterday's New York Times Opinionator, "In Defense of Naive Reading." Why am I directing readers of a travel blog to an opinion piece about literary criticism? Because of this statement: "Literature and the arts.... invite or invoke, at a kind of “first level,” an aesthetic experience that is by its nature resistant to restatement in more formalized, theoretical or generalizing language."

Right on, Mr. Pippin.

That statement pretty much sums up both what is amazing about travel and why it is so hard to write about. Travel is an aesthetic experiences. Like literature and art, travel is transformative. A good "naive reader" of the travel experience takes in details at a level that precedes worded thought. We walk through our new surroundings the way we read a great novel or see a great work of art. We are impressed by things we don't realize we noticed. We feel connections and relationships that we can't articulate. A new place is so rich, so complex, that it may take a long time and a lot of processing before we can put together an explanation of why it changed us, but change us we know it did.

The tree with the anonymous installation
How many of us have been frustrated by questions like "what was France like?" Reducing my trip to Paris to a formula of what makes France French isn't just impossible, it's ridiculous. Travel is resistant to "generalizing language." We try to pin down what was so amazing so our families and friends can share in our experience, but in the end we are often reduced to a bewildered "you had to be there."

So in order to translate the art of travel into a blog post, the blog post must become art. And maybe that's why I've been avoiding my writerly duty for a full two weeks. I can write a certain number of posts about budget airlines and good hostels, but there will come a point when I have to reduce a new place to its barest shapes and colors, and I worry that I'm no Matisse.

Copyright 2010 Sara Harding

No comments:

Post a Comment