Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Little Jaunt to the Big Apple... on Spirit Airlines

Struggling to pack chic, but light
I haven't mentioned anything about my relationship status in a while. It was very much on my mind when I started the blog, because at the time I was struggling to put a relationship together. Then it was on my mind in Paris, where I spent two weeks alone in spite of having invited my boyfriend to join me in the most romantic city in the world. I'm happy to say, though, that things have been going well since I've been back in the states, and tomorrow morning I head off to spend a week with him in New York.

Which gives me an opportunity to write a little about in-country travel. Getting over the oceans is really my thing, but there are lots of great places you can go without leaving the USA, and New York is surely one of the greatest. Don't expect too much of me - I am going to visit my boyfriend after all and blogging isn't going to be my priority - but I promise to fill you in on the highlights.

But for today, how am I getting to New York? I'm flying Spirit Airlines. If you don't already know about Spirit, it's a great way to get around major US hubs on the cheap. Most of the airports Spirit flies to are located in the eastern half of the United States, and flights to Florida, the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and Mexico make it great for vacations. Flights to New York, Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles make it great for work, too.

Spirit gets high marks for being affordable. You choose each segment of your flight separately and can see when the cheapest flights are available - if your travel plans are a bit flexible, this can really save you money. Spirit's flights are generally fairly inexpensive, but they're even cheaper if you join Spirit's 9 Dollar Fare Club. For $40 a year, you have access to rock-bottom prices. To put it in perspective, I joined the 9 Dollar Fare Club AND booked my roundtrip flight to New York for less than a major airline would have charged me for the ticket alone.

The downside, of course, is luggage. Spirit is particularly restrictive, even for a budget airline. You may only take a personal item without paying, something like a small tote. Bringing even a standard-sized carry-on will cost you an extra $20. Even so, including the charge for my carry-on and my membership in the 9 Dollar Fare Club, my flight cost me under $200. And now that most major airlines have begun to charge for the first checked bag on a domestic flight, I would have limited myself to just a carry-on even if I had paid major airline prices.

Although Spirit may not fly everywhere you want to go, the low prices make it worth checking out. And who knows - maybe some of the sunny destinations will inspire you to take a mid-winter break!

Copyright 2010 Sara Harding

No comments:

Post a Comment